Sunday, November 24, 2013

The Day Kennedy was Shot

 

What were you doing the day Kennedy was shot?

I was a student in a sophomore high school geometry class.

The teacher read the message about Kennedy being shot and said, "That will teach him to ride in convertibles."
He laughed but no one else did.

Minutes later, school was cancelled.

I took the city bus home, the same way I did all the time.

It was a gray cold Chicago day, and felt more like December than November. There were snow flurries falling. I loved Kennedy and kept thinking they must have the news wrong.

When I finally got home, there was nobody there. My mom and dad were working and wouldn't be home for 3 or 4 hours. My sister was probably with her friends. 

I turned on the tv. Watched the news.

I didn't know what else to do.

No comments: