Monday, May 12, 2008

MOVED

We are finally moved. Sort of.

Two Saturdays ago, we loaded up all the furniture and boxes that we had been packing for the last two months. Two Sundays ago, we drove the 570 miles from Valdosta, GA, to Danville, VA, in a caravan of two 26-foot long U-Haul trucks and three cars. If you're wondering how Linda and I were able to do all that caravanning, we had help. Our friends Ari Santas and his son Michael and Michael's friend John Reed helped us load and drive. They also-- along with our daughter Lillian -- helped us unload. We pulled into Danville about 7 pm Sunday night, and we immediately started unloading. By 230 am, we were done.

Except for the unpacking.

Ari, Michael, and John had to get back to Valdosta, so they got into Ari's little red car and drove.

Then we started unpacking.

It was all going smoothly until I came down with shingles. It's an illness with a funny name. I mean, I used to snicker when people said that they had shingles. No more. The pain around my heart and lungs was so strong that I thought I was having a heart attack.

The doctor gave me a shot of some kind of anti-shingles drug and a shot of B-12 and three prescriptions for a pain killer, an anti-inflammatory, and an anti-shingles drug. The drugs are knocking me out, making me dizzy, sleepy, and dopey. I’ve also been running a temperature and getting the chills.

Linda at one point took some photos of the two wide, red bands of rashes across my back, and we were going to post them on this blog, but we both decided that the world doesn't need to see how bad these rashes are.

Anyway, Linda and Lillian are unpacking while I sort of sit around and nap and try to keep from shaking with the chills.

8 comments:

Jason said...

John,
Congrats on the move, and I am sure you'll be happy to be in Danville, VA. Sorry to hear about the shingles. My grandmother came down with that illness a few times years ago; they are no fun. I wish you a speedy recovery.
Jason

Karen J. Weyant said...

Congrats on the move, and I hope you feel better soon. My father had shingles -- it is an illness with a funny name, but in reality they are a nightmare!!!

Good Luck!

Anonymous said...

Welcome to your new home, John, Linda and Lillian. It looks lovely.

best wishes Sue

Anonymous said...

John and Linda,

John, take care of yourself. I hear that shingles are simply awful. Love the new house! I know that Lillian must be really glad to have you guys closer. It's nice to think about your being closer to us as well! --Eva

Sara said...

John, have you had time to research the history of the house? It looks like it has an interesting history. What of it?

slm

journaljim said...

Sounds like you've had a very busy time of it. Glad you made it and I wish you the best.
Jim O'Brien (EIU Spring 2008)

Urkat said...

Sorry about the shingles. I took pics of my Dad's and they weren't pretty. Glad you had plenty of help moving though. Get Linda to take the shingles vaccine now available.

Jeff Newberry said...

Holy cow, John, are you okay, now?

I'm sorry that I've not seen your announcement earlier than now.

Let me know if I can do anything--far away that I am, I want to help.

Best,

Jeff